Home Meal Prep Done Quickly
The new norm calls for a complete change in our lives. Swamped with online meetings, looking after the kids’ online classes on top of juggling all the house chores from cleaning, washing, grocery shopping and cooking. The whole family needs to eat but sometimes it is just so difficult to find the time or even the energy to whip up easy food recipes. While food deliveries are convenient and life-saving at times, it could cost a bomb if ordered frequently and we would want to avoid over-spending during these tumultuous times.
Want a solution? Let’s give meal prepping a go! If you are unfamiliar about what it is, it is basically spending a portion of your time cooking or preparing a big portion of your meals. Meal prep in Malaysia is pretty new, so here are a few tips to get you started easily.
- Pick your proteins – Our protein choices range from poultry, seafood, beef or even beans. Just with these proteins to start from, you can cook up a variety of dishes but let’s make it simple and start with just two proteins a week. During your next trip to the market, get some chicken and beef. The portion should be enough to feed you or if you have a family, them too. Once you are home divide your proteins based on meal sizes and decide which day you will eat which protein. Out of 5 days, the last 3 days protein choices should be kept in the freezer to maintain its freshness. Freezing the right way is important in maintaining flavor and freshness. Keep cool and check out our guide on how to freeze meats here.
- Add some greens – Vegetables and fruits are important in a balanced meal. That’s why it should also be considered when you prep your meals. Need an easy dinner recipe? Fix up a plate of chicken salad. Just like your proteins, you can also portion your greens. Pick a container that gives you the right portion and when you need it, just take it out from the fridge. Portioning vegetables also keeps it fresher as only those that you need are removed from the fridge while the rest are kept chilled.
- Use the right containers – There is a suitable container for your freezer and fridge storage to ensure your ingredients and food stays fresh. When it comes to meal prepping, you should have containers for your freezer, fridge and cooked food. For freezing, we recommend FreezerMates while fridge and cooked food you can give the Chill-Freez a go. It is an ideal fridge and freezer solution.
- Flavors, flavors, flavors – For easy to cook recipes, simple flavors are most convenient and being Malaysians, we love our flavors so it plays an important role in us loving our food. Soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, onions, lemongrass, curry powder, coconut milk: just name it we’ll have it. Cooking with these flavors will definitely up your meal game.
- Get the right tools – Besides sorting out your ingredients, using the right tools help make your meal prep smoother and faster. Transform your kitchen into a meal prepping machine with these must-have kitchen helpers.
SuperSonic Chopper: chop 5 times faster than experienced chefs with this red hot fury. You can easily and quickly make sambal, pesto and many more with the SuperSonic Chopper.
- Speedy Mando: need garlic or onion for your stir-fried veggies? No need to bring out your big chopping board when you have the compact but swift Speedy Mando. Get evenly sliced garlic and onions for stir-fry, sauces and garnishes quickly.
- Fusion Master: be a master of creation with the Fusion Master as you can easily get minced meat for burger patties, sausages for a Western-inspired dinner. No need for bulky and heavy machines and you control what you put in your food.
- Speedy Chef: whip milk into creams and egg whites to stiff peaks with this electric-less mixer. Another non-bulky item that gets the job done in no time. Want a cup of Dalgona coffee? The Speedy Chef will whip it up for you quickly.
Put these tips to use and see if you can come up with a 5-day home meal prep. You can check out some recipes that we have shared previously here.